Note: This column appears in the Wednesday, July 10 newspaper on Page A3.
60 years ago...
From the July 9, 1959 edition of the McArthur Democrat-Enquirer:
- Diane Tripp was crowned the 1959 Miss Vinton County.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates held a tryout camp in McArthur. A total of 125 boys from Southeast Ohio participated, and McArthur players were Butch Cooper, Rick Bullock, Larry Harkins and John Coman.
- The Democrat-Enquirer reported the approximate cost to educate one student in Vinton County was $259.77 for the 1957-58 school year. Roughly 66 percent of this figure was spent on instruction.
50 years ago...
From the July 10, 1969 edition of the McArthur Democrat-Enquirer:
- Donna Lafferty was the 1969 Miss Vinton County; she was joined by first runner-up Terri Price and second runner-up Marsha Reed.
- When a cat was stuck on the roof of the Democrat-Enquirer office, “Morg” Johnson offered to climb up to the roof and rescue it. Johnson himself ended up needing a rescue himself. Bertha McDonald propped a hall tree against the building for him to safely lower himself.
40 years ago...
From the July 11, 1979 edition of the Vinton County Courier:
- Marla George was crowned the 1979 Miss Vinton County. The second runner-up was Angie Armstrong, and the first runner-up was Angie Boring. The 1979 Little Miss Vinton County was Elizabeth Dixon.
- Laura Kay LeMay won first place in the 50-yard dash and second place in the softball throw at the 1979 Ohio State Special Olympics, held in Columbus. Vinton County Community School took seven gold medals that day.
- At the movies: Cinema Louvee played “Good Guys Wear Black,” starring Chuck Norris.
30 years ago...
From the July 12, 1989 edition of the Vinton County Courier:
- County commissioners endorsed Harold V. Felton’s request to apply for a $350,000 grant that would go toward an 11,000 square-foot library facility to stand at the corner of Market and High Streets.
- Clarence “Bill” Bowen, a Wilkesville man who was blind, constructed several of his own shelter houses on his property that were complete with benches, tables and swings.
- Athletes of the Year for 1979 were Michelle Crouse and Dane Chandler.