Writer's Note: Updated as of Friday, April 17, 2020, at 12:16 p.m.
JACKSON COUNTY — Due to the growing concern over the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), many local activities have either been canceled, postponed or limited due to precautionary measures.
This list below will be updated each day as more activities are affected locally. Below are events that have been affected so far in Jackson County.
Ongoing list of cancellations, postponements, announcements relating to COVID-19 situation:
-K-12 Schools: The school building closure has been extended through May 1, 2020. Online learning will continue.
- Coalton Village Council has decided to cancel its meeting until it is safe to congregate.
- Jackson County Water Offices has closed its business office lobby and drive-thru window. For more information, call 740-286-5929.
- Make Wellston Beautiful, under orders of the Governor of the State of Ohio, has canceled all activities including evaluations, practices, games, and tournaments. The Wellston facilities are closed until further notice.
- The Jackson County Board on Aging, Inc., following recommendations from the Governor of Ohio and the Jackson County Health Department concerning coronavirus, regret to announce the temporary closing of Jackson, Wellston, and Oak Hill Senior Citizen Centers for congregate meals (lunch) and any other activities involving gatherings of people.
- The Wellston HOPE United Methodist Church has decided to cancel it Wednesday's Community Lunch. The church hopes to start back up soon.
- The Jackson First Church of the Nazarene, located at 251 Powell Drive, has closed and has changed to online services. Services can be found on YouTube by searching "Jackson First Nazarene."
- Jackson-Vinton Community Action, Inc. has received notice by the Ohio Development Services Agency that they are no longer required to do face-to-face intake for the winter crisis program, PIPP PLus, and HEAP assistance. All required documentation must still be provided prior to approval. Call, 740-384-6421 for further instruction. Office visits limited to one person per family.
- Holzer Health System on Wednesday, March 18, made changes to its visitor policy in response to COVID-19. Holzer Hospital locations will be limiting visitation to none.
- Madison-Jefferson Joint Fire District has closed its fire department to the public until further notice. For general questions, call 740-682-7650, and leave a message. If it is an emergency always call 9-1-1.
- The Jackson Memorial Building Auditorium, located at 145 Broadway Street in Jackson, will be closed until further notice, effective March 16.
- Wellston American Legion announced that due to the recent demand from Governor DeWine, the legion will be closed until further notice.
- The W4C Hope Center has decided to cancel all services at the Hope Center. W4C will continue to evaluate the situation moving forward.
- The Friends of Lake Alma Group has decided to postpone its clean-up day to a later date. The park is still open for hiking, fishing, walking, etc, but no large gatherings allowed.
- The Jackson County OSU Extension announced a important 4-H update. All 4-H Clubs must postpone/cancel all face-to-face meetings.
- The Jackson Christ United Methodist Church decided it is in the best interest of the church and community not to offer any worship services. Also no church ministries or community groups will meet in the building. Churchgoers may participate in worship by watching online using Facebook.
- The First Presbyterian Church of Wellston will have no in-person services at the church. Online church services on Sundays begin at 10:30 a.m.
- The Oak Hill Public Library is closed until further notice due to the COVID-19 worries. All programs will be canceled until a later date. Fines will not be charged during this time. All items can be dropped into the book depository.
- The Sylvester Memorial Wellston Public Library is closed. No fines will be assessed for items due during the emergency closure. All programs are canceled until further notice. This will include family movie night, preschool storyhour, toddler time, and TAB meetings. Along with any other programs.
- The Jackson City Library is closed. This closure is meant to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Many of Ohio’s libraries have had to make similar decisions to end in-person interactions.
- The DAV Chapter 45 announced due to the growing health concerns, they have made the decision to shutdown Bingo operations at the DAV.
- The Jackson Downtown Association has decided to cancel all upcoming planning meetings and community events until further notice.
- The Grace Health Clinic of Jackson County is closed. If you are a regular patient and need refills for medications, call 740-710-1306.
- Wellston Rotary Meetings are canceled until further notice. All members will receive an email when meetings begin again.
- All Jackson County EMS Stations have been closed to all visitors.
Saturday, April 18:
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic and precautions, Buckeye Hills Career Center is canceling this year’s EXPO on April 18, 2020. BHCC would like to thank the community, vendors, staff and student’s for their support. Event is not being rescheduled.
- The Jackson County Trout Festival is canceled this year. It was scheduled to be held on April 18.
Sunday, May 3:
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 concerns, the Sylvester Memorial Wellston Public Library has decided to indefinitely postpone the rustic Mommy & Me Tea Party. The library will re-evaluate in April in regards to cancelling or rescheduling the tea party.
- Pendragon's Welsh Medieval Faire, after consulting with the local health department officials, has decided to cancel its May 16-17, 2020 event. The group plans to be back in May 2021.
- 2020 Oak Hill Festival of Flags is canceled for now. Could be rescheduled for a later time.
Local civic, community, and church groups, as well as businesses are encouraged to contact the media if your event, or meeting has been canceled, postponed, or limited. Information can be submitted via email to Courier Multimedia Journalist Jeremiah Shaver at firstname.lastname@example.org.