JACKSON — Emergency crews were on the scene of an overturned semi-tanker truck on Route 35 at the Route 32 interchange after dark Tuesday.

At approximately 8:46 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 15, emergency personnel were dispatched to a motor vehicle crash involving a semi-tanker and a car. The crash was on Route 35 in the eastbound lanes, just east of Pattsonville Road.

According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol report, a semi truck pulling a tanker containing 8,000 gallons of ethanol being driven by Robert C. Clay of Ashland, Kentucky was traveling eastbound on Route 35.

A 2007 Mazda 3 being driven by a 16-year-old female had stopped at the stop sign at the end of the ramp from Route 32 eastbound to Route 35. The driver of the Mazda failed to yield to traffic on Route 35 and proceeded from the stop sign into the path of the truck.

The truck struck the Mazda, which caused the truck to overturn and the tanker became detached from the power unit. The tanker was breached.

Clay sustained incapacitating injuries. The driver of the Mazda and Eddie E. Queen, 18, of Coalton, a passenger in the Mazda, sustained minor injuries. All three individuals were transported by Jackson EMS to Holzer Medical Center of Jackson.

Drugs nor alcohol are not suspected to have been a factor, the Patrol reported.

The Jackson County HazMat Team, along with the  Jackson Fire Department, Liberty Twp. Vol. Fire Department, Ohio State Highway Patrol, JCEMA and ODOT, were all on the scene.

Route 35 was closed in both directions (eastbound and westbound) at the interchange for Route 32 for a period of time. 

The westbound lanes of Route 35 at the Route 32 interchange reopened at 11:01 p.m. on Oct. 15.  

Eastbound lanes in that same area remain closed through much of the late night/overnight hours Tuesday into Wednesday. As of 6:03 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 16, the eastbound lanes of Route 35 reopened. However, the exit ramp from Routes 32 to 35 is still closed at this time. 

Jackson County EMA Director Robert Czechlewski told The Courier that approximately 3,000 gallons of ethanol leaked from the tanker. The tanker,  according to shipment papers, was carrying 8,000 gallons.

"Clean up crews will be out there the next few days removing contaminated soil until the Ohio EPA gives the okay that everything is cleaned up to their satisfaction," Czechlewski said.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Load comments