Sandy Borden served as the program host for the March 27 Jackson Rotary meeting. With her long-standing connection to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, she thought some updates on the OSHP’s activities in Southeastern Ohio would be interesting to the Rotarians. Sargent Heath Ward responded to her request and covered the meeting for Lt. Mark Thompson who serves as the Commander for the Jackson Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol. Sargent Ward gave an interesting and insightful talk regarding the OSHP’s drug interdiction activities and how it works with local law enforcement agencies in the area. He also offered safety tips to help keep families safe.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol was established in 1933. The first class of graduates was assigned to six districts across the state, with each district having three substations. The next major organizational change to the structure of the OSHP occurred in 1953. In January 2012, a new plan was outlined to reorganize OSHP’s structure to continue providing the highest level of service at a reduced cost. The OSHP completed its reorganization from ten districts to eight in January 2013. Headquarters for the eight districts are in Findlay, Bucyrus, Warren, Piqua, Columbus, Cambridge, Wilmington and Jackson.
Area motorists and residents in need of Patrol services should contact the Jackson Post at (740) 286-4141. To report impaired drivers or drug activity on the roadway dial #677.